Re: International Jewish Music survey recordings

Joel,

The Hebrew University of Jerusalem produced a tape/CD called "Musical
Traditions in Israel: Treasures of the National Sound Archives" (1992). It
has 24 tracks including music from Jewish communities of Tangier, Greece,
France, Italy, Turkey, Yemen, Ethiopia, Gur Hassidim... (also there are a
few tracks of other local communities including Arabs, Bedouins, Greek
Orthodox...). A lot of the recordings were made by eminent ethnographers
both inside and outside Israel, and it's an extremely interesting and
diverse collection. I got my copy directly from the Jewish Music Research
Centre of the Hebrew University; they have a web site at
http://shum.cc.huji.ac.il/~jmrc/jmrc.htm with contact details.

Abbi