Re: how many hands has Joseph Moskowitz?

Incidentally, my friend Nicolae Feraru, the Gypsy tzambalagiu from
Bucharest who lives in Chicago, recognized one section of "Buhuser
Chusid" as part of a hora from Dobrogea. As Moskowitz was from
Galati, which is not too far from Dobrogea, this is probably not too
surprising. Nick's grandfather was a clarinet player in Galati at
the turn of the century, and I wonder whether he had any contact with
Moskowitz's family.

Moskowitz learned to read music from his father and clearly wrote out
his arrangements. This had to be very unusual for Romanian cimbalom
players at the time (and still is unusual today, as formal
instruction is by rote memorization, not through published methods,
as in Hungary). I think his "Hungarian Rag" is in E flat, the hardest
key on the cimbalom to play, so he obviously wanted to make it hard
on himself.

Paul Gifford