Re: how many hands has Joseph Moskowitz?

More Moskowitz trivia:  According to Gus Horvath, who about 1930-1932
was in New York staying with relatives while learning the cimbalom
from Bela Zsiga, Moscowitz's restaurant had a sign painted with his
cimbalom. Gus never went in, as he was a teenager, and he said
Moskowitz's music was "different"--- Gus and his people were Gypsies
(from western Pennsylvania, but of Slovak origin), living in Little
Hungary.

If anyone is seriously looking into Moskowitz artifacts, maybe the
family of Michel Weiner, the violinist who owned the restaurant in
Washington, D.C., where he played, should be located. He had a son
Stanley (violinist) and a son Ted (cellist). To the extent that I
looked, both of the latter seem to be dead; Stanley spent most of his
life in Germany, I think, and was a composer. Ted also made a 10" LP
on Romany, like Moskowitz, but the latter wasn't on it. Same with
the Michel LP, a 12" LP, featuring Hungarian and Romanian music.

Does anyone know how long Michel's Restaurant lasted after 1954?
Janos Hosszu came from Hungary in 1957, made a record, and settled in
Washington. I talked to his wife in 1979 and he was old and infirm
then. Did he take Moskowitz's place there?

Paul Gifford