Re: Klezmer "bootlegs"?

"Yakov (Koby)" wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:23:36 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Hi Lori. I'm a Klezmer fan in Chicago. A friend of mine is an expert =
> live
> >performance "taper"....
>
> Do you or does anyone else have live tapes/CDs available for the cost of =
> postage and media?

Not to exactly answer your question, but I feel it should be said:

While I do often tape shows, I try my best to get permission first
and I don't give away copies.  I offer copies to the performer, and if
they want a few more for friends, I am happy to oblige them, but with
very rare exceptions, I would never freely propogate the stuff.  It's
not my music, its not my performance.  Tho I may have my personal
snapshot of it, that doesn't give me the right to dissemenate it.

Also if I do tape someone I consider myself morrally obligated to buy
their official recordings and attend their shows when I can.

roger

--
r l reid        ro (at) panix(dot)com