Re: jewish music databases

Roger, Eliot,

In my experience, each catalogue entry should have two separate title
fields. One, with the title of the item in Hebrew characters (thus,
with a DB that supports that -- Yuval Italia's catalogue is based on
a very accessible Claris FileMaker Pro; we work with Mac, and Mac OS
9 has built-in Hebrew), and the other, with the actual title
appearing on the publication, whatever its transliteration may be, or
else (when the title is not transliterated) a user-defined
transliteration.
This allows to access the catalogue both to retrieve a given common
title, and to look for a specific recording.
JTS Aleph catalogue is in my advise extremely well conceived, and it
makes items easily accessible from many perspectives. Yet, I agree
with Eliot that the least one deals with transliteration, the best it
is in the end...

Best,
Francesco

YUVAL  ITALIA     Centro Studi Musica Ebraica
the  Italian Center for the Study of Jewish Music

via della Guastalla,19            20122 Milano Italy
tel/fax +39 02 55014977    yuval (at) powerlink(dot)it
            http://www.powerlink.it/yuval