Re: jewish music databases

Dear Roger:

Your problem is one continually confronted by libraries cataloging Jewish
music. The best on-line world data base for music is OCLC, yet they still
haven't developed use of Hebrew fonts. Every Hebrew and Yiddish title must be
"romanized" according to standard Library of Congress procedure. This is an
arcane task--particularly to those of us without a strong knowledge of modern
Hebrew grammar. Also, be informed that LC's romanization scheme is different
from YIVO's.

I confront this problem continually when I have to catalog scores of Jewish
liturgical music. Our local Aleph system supports Hebrew fonts, but OCLC, on
which I always catalog to provide world access, does not.

In my 6+ years experience of cataloging Jewish music manuscripts, and that's
everything from nineteenth-century cantors books with Hebrew characters under
the notes to late twentieth-century works for the Reform synagogue, I would
seriously advise you--if you have the liberty of creating your own system--use
only Hebrew characters. Otherwise, every time you look up a piece by its title,
you would be confronted by the numerous spellings of the numerous places where
Jews have lived--not too mention the Sephardit vs. Ashkenaz way of pronouncing
the "kometz" vowel.

Here are a few of the spellings I have found for Veshamru:

Weshamru,   W'shomru, W'shomeru, Veshamru, V'shomru, Veshomeru, W'somru
(Romanian).

Then there's Unasaneh tokef,  Unataneh tokef ...

Anyway, you get the idea.

Eliott Kahn