Ari's Shtetl remarks -- Very, very long posting -- feel free to delete unread

Khaverim --

First, if I may take the secular New Year as a good point for such a
thing, I want to offer my thanks -- and I'm sure the entire list will
concur -- to Ari for the many hours he puts in on the list and his
wonderful website. Speaking not only as a working Jewish music
journalist but also as someone who just flat out loves these musics, I
want to say that Ari is a national treasure, no a world treasure for
Jewish music. Anyone who works in the field owes him an enormous debt of
gratitude.

Now I didn't say that because I wanted to preface my remarks with
something positive before taking him to task, although that is an old
debater's trick of which I'm fond.

Actually I found much to agree with in Ari's remarks in his
year-end/mid-year roundup (not the least of them his choices of
records). I do want to add a few observations of my own.

Partly by the nature of the writing I've been doing (my book Essential
Judaism but also the rather wider range of Jewish music that I cover for
Jewish Week in NYC), and partly because of my own evolution as a Jew, I
have spent more time covering and being involved in Jewish worship and
Jewish worship communities. Like Ari's remarks, mine are sort of a
stringing together of disparate but not unrelated themes rather than a
closely argued essay.

To me the most exciting thing to emerge from the Klezmer Renaissance (or
Revival or whatever) is the revitalization in a small way of a Yiddish
culture. What I want to emphasize here is the rebirth of a Yiddish
community of some sort as a counterweight to a Zionist paradigm of
Jewish history in which in some echt-Hegelian sense the establishment of
the State of Israel (and a Hebrew-speaking State at that) is the
endpoint of the development of the Jewish people. If I learned anything
from four and a half years of work on Essential Judaism it's that anyone
who talks about some monolithic "Jewish people" is full, uh, blintzes.
The triumphalist Ashkenazi-Zionist scenario ends up with everyone
speaking Hebrew and worshipping at the shrine of Max Nordau's "Muscle
Jews," a scenario that is as repugnant to me as any other exclusionary
vision. I'm not rejecting Zionism in any one or all of its many
variegated forms (and it's funny how most Zionists don't acknowledge the
multiplicity of Zionisms, but that's another story); I'm merely saying
that there are more Zionisms and Judaisms than are dreamt of in your
philosophy, Horatio.

Yiddish is an enormously important part of the story of Jewish history
-- it's not just a ghetto jargon/argot, as some would have it. (I know
that saying this in this forum is what the Irish call "the committed
preaching to the converted.")

And to embrace some form of Yiddish culture is not necessarily to invoke
the romantic version of the shtetl. I have to disagree with Ari on one
important cultural point here. The romanticization of the shtetl really
owes more to The World Is With The People (Zborowski) than to Sholem
Aleichem and Peretz. On the contrary, I think the fully rounded portrait
of shtetl life painted by those two writers includes ample doses of
lice, greed, bigotry, ignorance and pogroms. Don't mistake Sholem
Aleichem for the author(s) of Fiddler on the Roof.

On the other hand, I believe that  community is a basic human need. Man,
as Arisotle wrote, is a social animal (yeah women too,). And I have
always believed that the urge to pray in the Jewish faith -- which is
channeled mostly into family or community settings -- is an urge towards
community.

A few months ago I gave a talk at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in which
this was, in fact, the primary subject. Indulge me a little while take
the supreme arrogant move of quoting myself.

> A decade ago, I went to a synagogue for the first time in more than 20 years.
> I had little idea what I would find there.  Much to my surprise and delight,
> I found that I loved it. Ten years later, I'm an active member of that same
> synagogue, a trustee, choir member, newsletter editor; I served as president
> for two years, I  lead services often, give occasional sermons, have taught
> both children's and adult classes.
>       What happened? Simply put, the discovery that I made on my journey back
> into Judaism was that when I thought I was seeking another "political"
> identity and community, what I really had been looking for all along was a
> spiritual community. It has been the search for the ineffable, the
> mysterious, the . . . well, the holy, to be blunt, that has drawn me ever
> more deeply into Judaism as an adult.
>       And here is where my journey is more typical than unusual.
>       Sometime in my mid-30s, my father -- may his memory be a blessing --
> was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. Dad would die two days before my 38th
> birthday.In the long, agonizing trudge from his illness to his death, I often
> found myself grappling with those impenetrable questions of life and death
> that haunt all adults at some point. And usually that point first comes not
> when they face their own death but when death reaches out to take a parent.
> If you do some basic arithmetic, you can see that for the baby-boom
> generation, that time is pretty much now.
>       The other side of that coin is the creating of life, and for most
> boomers, that is happening now, too. So many of friends, my contemporaries,
> are having children, raising children.
>       As I began to prepare this talk I realized that this date, November 2,
> is neatly bracketed by Shabbat Bereshit, which was last weekend, and my
> father's yahrzeit, which is exactly one week from today. Birth and death. And
> we are not even a month from the High Holy Days, from Rosh Hashanah, the day
> of the birth of the world in Jewish tradition, and Yom Kippur, the day on
> which God seals the book that contains our fate for the coming year.
>       I think about the opening of Bereshit, the Book of Genesis, often,
> particularly at this time of year. We read the story of the Creation on Rosh
> Hashanah and repeat it on Simkhat Torah as we begin again the yearly cycle of
> Torah readings. And we read it once more on Shabbat Bereshit, the first
> Sabbath after Simkhat Torah.
>       "Bereshit bara eloheem et ha-shamayim vi-et haaretz;  when God began to
> create the heaven and earth. . . ."
>       When I hear that passage from Torah, I think of something I once read,
> a quotation from Allan Sandage, a protege of the great astronomer Edwin
> Hubble, and a great scientist in his own right.  Sandage was trying to
> describe what it is like to sit in the observer's cage on a mountaintop
> observatory in California, looking into the night sky.  He said, "You sit
> [...]

(Sorry for the lengthy quote, but I figured it was easier than trying to
rewrite that stuff on the fly. And I said what I meant then, so I don't
feel a need to rewrite it.)

I don't believe that the only place to find a Jewish community is in a
synagogue. My wife has a powerful sense of Jewish identity. She's also
an atheist. I don't know about any of the other people on this list --
well, actually I DO know about many of you because you are all so frank
and generous with insights into your own lives as Jews -- but many of
you probably aren't religious by any conventional definition of the
word.

But you have found a community in Jewish music, a community that you are
happy to identify yourself with, a community that gives you
satisfaction, a sense of belonging and of support. And that's a
wonderful thing.

Well, I've spent too much of your bandwidth and time already, so all I
will say is, this is far from the worst place we could be coming from.
Some of the communities that Ari mentions in passing in his essay are a
heck of a lot more toxic than anything we could even imagine.

I'm proud to be part of this little world -- shtetl, village, whatever
you want to call it -- and hope that we will all continue meeting like
this in the new, secular, year.

Best,
George Robinson