Re: Theremin

on 11/3/00 5:50 PM, Alex U. Singer at asinger (at) med(dot)unc(dot)edu wrote:

> Rougly speaking (very roughly speaking) the theremin was the first electronic
> instrument -- very pre-Bob Moog -- I think it was invented in
> the 20's in Russia.   Essentially it's a small box on a stand with a coil
> coming from the box.  To play it, the position of your hands to the box both
> dictates the pitch and the volume.  If you get a chance, there's an
> extraordinary documentary on video (I don't remember the title) about the
> instrument, the inventor of it and a female friend of his who used to play
> classical music recitals in the 20's and 30's on it.

The inventor was Leon Theremin, the instrument was the first completely
electronic instrument (at least that's what the info about it says). He and
his female protoge were all the rage in the 20s, I believe her name was
Lydia. He was kidnapped by the KGB, brought back to Russia to use his vast
scientific skills and knowledge for the good of the motherland, and
rediscovered before his death by Bob Moog and others interested in his
invention (including the director of the movie). I haven't seen the movie, I
believe it's called "Theremin".

I do have one of the instruments though, a kit made by Big Briar (Bob Moog's
company). It's played as described above, and is a bear to get even a major
scale out of consistently. I've got a CD of Clara Rockmore playing classical
music on it, a virtuoso of the instrument.

By the Alex, I empathize, I live out in the middle of nowhere (for klezmer
anyway), and read of these events longingly. Was quite tempted to drive to
New Haven for the class, but it is 5 hours each way...

Seth

--
Seth Austen
please visit me on the web at http://www.sethausten.com