Theremin (nokh a bisl tsulib dem theremin...)

                   "Then there was a break and the highlight of the day, a 2
hour concert
>                 with Frank on trumpet and keys, Lorin on accordion and
vocals and Rob
>                 Schwimmer on piano and an instrument called (I think) a
theremin, which
>                 can only be described as a "virtual electric saw" (perhaps
someone else
>                 can elaborate)."  Alex Singer

       Nice coincidence that the theremin should come up on the list as a
topic.  About ten years ago I translated some German passages for a doctoral
dissertation on the subject of theremin and just last month, the author,
Albert Glinsky completed an extremely well-written, colorful and informative
recasting of his NYU doctoral thesis fortified with copious pictures and a
foreward by none other than Robert Moog.  The title:  "Theremin - Ether Music
and Espionage," published by the University of Illinois Press, part of the
series "Music in American Life."  It can be located now in all major book
stores as well as ordered through Amazon.com.

            Concerning another connection to the topic of the theremin and
Jewish music, I spotted a listing from the Center for Jewish History in New
York for a concert of shabbos table songs slated for February 24, 2001 again
with Lorin Sklamberg, Frank London and Rob Schwimmer, the latter doubling on
piano and theremin.  About two months ago I communicated with theremin
afficionado extraordinaire Albert Glinsky,  and was going to joke about the
theremin showing up in every category of music these days and it was only a
matter of time before it begins wailing away as a klezmer instrument.  I
guess no more need to joke about it!  The only musical instrument in the
world that is played without being touched linked to klezmer music?  Sounds
like an oxymoron, doesn't it?  I can imagine it embellishing zmiros and such
and would look forward to hear how it might be utilized in other more
klezmer-like contexts, although I don't think clarinetists need fear from the
competition.

       And as far as Seth Austen's comment about an important woman in
Theremin's biography named Lydia, this is perhaps an allusion to Lydia Kavina
who actually took lessons already as a young girl with Theremin in the 1970s.
 There is a charming picture of her at age nine, taking a lesson from the
master himself in Moscow  (see the series of pictures after p.274 in Glinsky,
Theremin). Two other women who figured prominently as performers on
Theremin's creation were Clara Rockmore (sister of the renowned piano
pedagogue Nadia Reisenberg) and Lucie Bigelow Rosen.  They both performed
extensively back in the 1930s in America, prior to Theremin's sudden
disappearance from New York in 1938.  He was eventually herded off in a
cattle car of the Trans-Siberian railway to Vladivostok, suddenly reemerging
in the West just before his passing in 1993!  All of these details as well as
lots of Soviet/American cultural history are documented in Glinsky's book.

Michael Spudic

< <A HREF="http://www.he.net/~enternet/teci/glinsky/glinsky.htm";><Click here:
Out of Thin Air, Theremin and the Age of Ether</A>
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0252025822/o/qid%3D971550239/sr%3D8-3/r

ef%3Daps%5Fsr%5Fb%5F1%5F5/002-4768361-3961605

on 11/3/00 5:50 PM, Alex U. Singer at asinger (at) med(dot)unc(dot)edu wrote:

> Rougly speaking (very roughly speaking) the theremin was the first
electronic
> instrument -- very pre-Bob Moog -- I think it was invented in
> the 20's in Russia.   Essentially it's a small box on a stand with a coil
> coming from the box.  To play it, the position of your hands to the box both
> dictates the pitch and the volume.  If you get a chance, there's an
> extraordinary documentary on video (I don't remember the title) about the
> instrument, the inventor of it and a female friend of his who used to play
> classical music recitals in the 20's and 30's on it.

The inventor was Leon Theremin, the instrument was the first completely
electronic instrument (at least that's what the info about it says). He and
his female protoge were all the rage in the 20s, I believe her name was
Lydia. He was kidnapped by the KGB, brought back to Russia to use his vast
scientific skills and knowledge for the good of the motherland, and
rediscovered before his death by Bob Moog and others interested in his
invention (including the director of the movie). I haven't seen the movie, I
believe it's called "Theremin".

I do have one of the instruments though, a kit made by Big Briar (Bob Moog's
company). It's played as described above, and is a bear to get even a major
scale out of consistently. I've got a CD of Clara Rockmore playing classical
music on it, a virtuoso of the instrument.

By the Alex, I empathize, I live out in the middle of nowhere (for klezmer
anyway), and read of these events longingly. Was quite tempted to drive to
New Haven for the class, but it is 5 hours each way...

Seth Austen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->