RE: Klezmer and Jewish Music Workshop and Concert in New Haven

I went to this event last Wednesday. I was impressed by a number of
things. First of all there seems to be a much livlier Jewish community
in and around New Haven than I had previously thought. I met people like
David who are interested in Jewish music from both a personal and
professional perspective as a Professor of Music at SCSU. I met other
people who are into Jewish dance, both Klezmer and Israeli, and who give
classes in same at the local JCC and foster and attend other Jewish
dance related events all over Connecticut.

The workshops themselves were great. I went to the instrumental one,
where Frank London spent an hour and a half explaining, teaching and
coaxing a willing bunch of participants through a number of Nigunim, the
(mostly) wordless melodies devised by various Chassidic communities or
members thereof for numerous occasions. Although I have had a great deal
of exposure to Klezmer, this was my first exposure to Nigunim and it was
a very worthwhile experience, both from an appreciation of this music
and it's relation to Klezmer and for my own personal musical growth.

At the same time Lorin Sklamberg was conducting a vocal workshop of
Nigunim in another room.

Then Lorin came in and he and Frank did a Klezmer 101 lecture, where
they talked about and to some extent illustrated some of the various
forms of Klezmer music (freylekh, zhok, etc) and discussed how the
Klezmorim in many cases took the music of the people with whom they
co-inhabited a certain area and "Jewishized" that music into theirs
(polka/mazurka, kolomryke, e.g)

Then there was a break and the highlight of the day, a 2 hour concert
with Frank on trumpet and keys, Lorin on accordion and vocals and Rob
Schwimmer on piano and an instrrument called (I think) a theremin, which
can only be described as a "virtual electric saw" (perhaps someone else
can elaborate). The concert was in large part similar material to that
from their album "Nigunim". It was very moving, avoiding some of the
excesses that sometimes come out of a concert by the larger band, the
Klezmatics. It kept an appreciative audience alternately mezmerized by
their fine musicianship and clapping a jumping around in their seats by
the group's energy, enthusiasm and obvious love of what they were doing.

A very nice day (even the weather cooperated) in Southern Connecticut.
There's a lot going on down there.

Dick Rosenberg