Re: Glass Harmonica

on 10/24/00 11:35 AM, Peter Rushefsky at rushefsky_p (at)
univerahealthcare(dot)org
wrote:

> The glasses of different shapes are attached together, put on their sides.
> I'm
> no gh maven, but I'm pretty sure there's no water needed (the variable glass
> size determines the pitch).

Years ago in Philadelphia I heard a street musician brilliantly performing
Mozart, etc. on the glass harmonica. I talked to him extensively about his
particular instrument, he only used DISTILLED water in crystal goblets (all
the same size). This was 20 some years ago, perhaps new developments on the
instrument have made it possible to have different sized glasses without
water, certainly would make it easier to set-up before a gig...

I can hardly wait to hear what Frank London did with Hazones and glass harp,
harmonium, etc on the new CD. He previewed some of the material onstage at
KlezKanada, it was among my most favorite performances of the week.

Seth

--
Seth Austen
please visit me on the web at http://www.sethausten.com