Re: Transferring 78s to CD

on 9/7/00 8:44 PM, Kame'a Media at media (at) kamea(dot)com wrote:

> To the List:
>
> I want to transfer a collection of 78s onto CD.
> I have a  Mac;  what do I need-  software, cables, etc?
>
> What kind of file is the music stored on?
>
> Can one put these files on a Zip Disk,
> and have them burned onto CD ?

Hi Wolf,

I used to use Digidesign's Sound Designer II software for two track
mastering and editing, it could do just about anything, only hampered by the
antiquity of my pre power PC mac and occasional operator thickheadednesss. I
used this with an older Mac with nubus slots (is your Mac nubus or PCI or
USB, this will affect what programs might work for you). They no longer make
it, but I'm sure there's a current software version of the same program with
a different name.

I've heard good things as well regarding Bias' Peak software (not very
expensive, there's a sound card available for Powerbooks that is compatible
with this software), also Sonic Solutions (high end, this is what alot of
pro mastering engineers use), Cakewalk, etc...

Personlly, I'd consider transferring all the 78s to DAT tape first, then
copying into the computer to edit surface noise, etc. This way, you'd have
an archival version with no changes made. One other possibility, Alesis is
making an all in one CD buner with some editing/mastering capabilities, it's
not cheap, but if you were doing alot of this, it would pay for itself in
the long run.

Seth

--
Seth Austen