CD Re-issue of "Yaffa Yarkoni Sings Yiddish" is =Yofi=

Hatikvah Music, -a new record label launched by
Simon Rutberg (Hatikvah Music International)-
has re-issued , "Yaffa Yarkoni Sings Yiddish" by
the legendary Israeli songstress whose career
spans five decades.

This classic recording, -with arrangements by
Glenn Osser, who worked with American singer
Johnny Mathis (to give you an idea as to the  "feel"
of this record)- is an essential addition to any
Jewish music library.

Yarkoni's sinuous and sensual delivery of the
Tauber-Olshanetsky "Ikh Hob Dich Tsufil Lib"
brings to mind the smoky vocals of her contemporaries,
American nightclub star Julie London and French
chanteuse Francoise Hardy.

Her renditions of "Papirossen" and "Avremele" set the
standardby which all succeeding versions are measured,
influencing  singers  such as  Chava Alberstein, Lea Szlanger
and Fraidy Katz.

Yarkoni's elegant style,  delicate phrasing and diction are a
delight; -(mostly) mellow =mameloshn= by a person whose ability
to speakthe language she sings in is apparent in every line.
Yaffa was Yiddish before Yiddish was cool.

Along with ten Yiddish classics (including "Shein Vi Di L'vone",
"My Yiddish Momme" and "Zug Far Vus") are two Hebrew songs,
"Haveinu Sholem Olechim" and "David Melech Israel", a concession
to the marketing department of Columbia Records (one whose label
this recording was first released) but nevertheless, not entirely
out of place on this CD either.

A gem.  Thank you, Simon.

Wolf Krakowski

Note: Neither the CD notes nor my LP copy give the date of its
original release, but I will guess it was 1962.  As it is still very
early in Los Angeles, perhaps we can expect to hear from Simon
as the day wears on.

Kame'a Media
http://www.kamea.com