Re: CD Re-issue of "Yaffa Yarkoni Sings Yiddish" is =Yofi=

In a message dated 8/29/0 5:40:36 AM, media (at) kamea(dot)com writes:

<<
A gem.  Thank you, Simon.

Wolf Krakowski

Note: Neither the CD notes nor my LP copy give the date of its
original release, but I will guess it was 1962.  As it is still very
early in Los Angeles, perhaps we can expect to hear from Simon
as the day wears on.

Thank you Wolf for the wonderful review.. (the check is in the mail)
The original recording by Yaffa Yarkoni was called "Sabra Sings Yiddish -
Rumania, Rumania" and I believe it was released in 1961.
Yaffa Yarkoni had performed all over the world, and Columbia Records had a
long history of recording Jewish music going back to the era of the 78 RPM
records.
Mitch Miller ran Columbia's A&R dept, and was in large part responsible for
the 'Johnny Mathis sound'. He used one of Mathis' arrangers Glenn Osser to
work on the album rather than use an "Israeli" sounding group which back then
would typically be an accordion, flute, drum, etc. Obviously, Yaffa Yarkoni
was meant to be a crossover artist with Jewish audiences.  A few years later,
a Columbia subsidiary signed Geula Gill, and tried to do the same with her
rather than the folk arrangements that she was given at Elektra Records.
 Jubilee Records also signed Aliza Kashi as their "Israeli" artist, though
they had other Jewish (Yiddish) artrists..not bad for a label th4a had some
of the greatest Rhythm & Blues hits!
Simon
Haitikah