Re: Doorbell dilemma

There's a possible other link between London street sounds and Jewish music,
that's been intriguing me. Meanwhile:

I don't imagine that Big Ben was the first clock to sound like that (although
actually Big Ben is the name of the bell itself, named, according to the
encyclopedia next to me, after Sir Benjamin Hall, who had it installed when
he was commissioner of works at Westminster Palace).

The only reason I can think of for it sounding like that is that you had to
have four notes. Carillon, claims the OED, is derived from the Low Latin word
quadrilion, a group of four bells. And these four notes are arranged in the
Westminster clock to provide a text-book four-phrase motif, with a statement
going to the dominant, popping back up again, descending again in a slightly
different order (perhaps to mimic the 'changes' of bell-ringers eager to
demonstrate how many combinations of bells they can manage) and then
returning to the tonic in an identical manner to that first return.

I've heard them in Vierne; they come up in a few other pieces by British
composers too, but I've forgotten what they are.

Link - I'm curious about Lionel Bart's use of London street music. The song
in 'Oliver' -'Who will buy this wonderful feeling?' springs from a genuine
flowerselling catch, heard as late as the 1940s. Given that Bart was here
being openly, indeed stylishly lightfingered himself, is it too much to
suggest that Fagin's song 'I'm reviewing the situation' is jolly similar to
'Bai Mir Bistu Shen'? And if that's fair, has Lionel Bart used other
traceably Jewish melodies?

Tom Payne