Re: Doorbell dilemma

Josh Asks:
In a message dated 6/30/00 12:39:50 PM, horowitz (at) styria(dot)com writes:

>Quick question:
>
>Does anyone know where the ubiquitous doorbell melody comes from? The melody
>goes like this, in C major:
>
>1) c e d g   g d e c   e c d g   g d e c

Well, the last eight are definitely Big Ben (actually Westminster). I just
produced an organ recording that included a set of variations by Vierne on
those last eight notes entitled "Chimes of Westminster" as I recall. The
first eight don't ring a bell (sorry...). The other eight notes of Big Ben
are (and again, this is from hazy memory):
e d c g  g d e c

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett