Re: Making Judaism Cool

Ari:
As you suggest...it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. I'm of a
mind that people's positive interest in Judaism is at least positive..and
I'll definitely take that over Anti-Semitism.  Ok, there is a point, where
as a person who's been playing Yiddish music for over 25 years..long before
it was hip and groovy..when bookers wanted to call my music Hebrew..because
they didn't "get it" and thought everything Jewish was Hebrew...God knows
what they thought Ladino was...one audition person very nastily said to me
"Oh, Ladino...as opposed to Latino." Anyways...so I've been somewhat in the
trenches at times, yes it is a pain in the tuchas when people are treating
something that I love...and I love being Jewish and doing Jewish music and
theatre...as a fad. It's downright insulting at times...my only hope is that
some of these fadsters will hang in there with the wonderfulness of
Yiddishkeyt and check it out in all of it's beautiful and glorious
ramifications.
   Clearly I get easily pissed about what people view "Jewish" to be.
That's my button pusher.  But in my own defense, I will say that I know that
my Grandmother Gert who I'm named for, went through a tremendous amount of
chazerei about not "really" being Jewish, even though her father James was
adopted halachically and her husband was a Chazzan in the old country.  So
what I'm saying about that...is that there are as many kinds of Jews as
there are people...I guess I'll always keep saying that...even though people
on the list may find it somewhat tiresome.  My feeling is that if you are
taking the "licks" as well as having the joy of being a Jew then you've
earned the title. And hey...that's where Roseanne came in.  Believe me,
being an actor(I also have done stand-up) I've heard enough said about her
being a JAP. -To which my response is(including when people call me this as
well) That's right A JEWISH AMERICAN PERSON. If I'm being flip I'll say
that's right I'm a..JEWISH AMERICAN POLISH PERSON...since my father's mom's
name was Pollansky.
    Be Well and Zei Gezunt,
    Trudi the G(L.R.)