re: making judaism cool

>  That is when the third generation
>of a family that immigrated to another country like america becomes
>interested in learning about their culture.  The first generation wanted
>to asssimilate and didn't pass down much and so the 2nd generation is
>very assimilated.  Right now there are many of those third generation
>members, like me, trying to find out more about their culture.

Or, perhaps, you belong to a fourth generation, Rachel, of American Jews who
don't see those same walls we all do. Whatever it is, welcome to the list. And
don't lose that spirit--no matter what we jaded old-timers might say.

Anybody see the rebroadcast of AVALON on cable recently? What a beautiful
explication of three (and four) generations of the American Jewish immigrant
experience. And, yes, I realize that the actors weren't all distinctly Jewish.
Nevertheless, I found it a profoundly moving story and an accurate portrayal of
what we lost and gained in the goldene medina.

Eliott Kahn