Re: A QUERY

wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com wrote:

> Wolf,
>
> Which were you?
>
> Bob

Hi Bob:

I was what is sometimes called a "roustabout", although I
never heard this term used by anyone in the carnival and
have only seen it in print;  folks usually referred to themselves
as "carny/carnies".

One tears down and sets up the tents, rides , etc.

When you're entry level, they take the new guy and forcibly put him in
the lead car of
a ride such as the Wild Mouse  (a roller coaster with sharp turns) for a
test run.  That's when you pray you tightened every nut and bolt and
everyone else did too!

I worked on the rides and was soon promoted to foreman on the bumper
cars.

All the loose change I could find; all the graphite dust I could breathe.

Wolf

Wolf