Re: A QUERY

Dear Owen:

When I was a kid  I left home with the carnival
(Conklin and Garret Shows) and travelled with them.
(Romantic, eh?)
This was back in the day of the sideshow that included
freaks, knife-throwers, fire-eaters and hoochie dancers.

I shared close quarters with Schlitzie (b. Simon Metz),
billed as the "Missing Link" and the man who had the legal papers
to exhibit him.  (Schlitzie,   appeared in
Tod Brownings film "Freaks" (c.1927) and some other films).
 He was microcephalic; that is, a "pinhead".

The man who had the legal right to exhibit him was a
Gypsy lion-tamer and sword-swallower.  My knowledge of,
and experience withthe Roma began with him.

(As far a "going there",  political correctness and family values have done away
with the sideshow in the USA and Canada, replaced by sanitzed, corporate
entertainments).

See the book - "Bury Me Standing" by Isabel Fonseca.
There is another one about the "Devouring" (translation of the Rom for
"Holocaust"),
 "And The Violins Stopped Playing".  Can't recall the author.

Wolf