Re: A QUERY

wiener (at) mindspring(dot)com wrote:

> From: Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com <Klezcorner (at) aol(dot)com>:

> >Theodore Bikel lived and traveled with Gypsies for an extented period
> of time.

It should be noted that Gypsy musicians (whether in Hungary, Romania,
or Ukraine) are sedentary. Either Bikel toured as a part of a
performing troupe (such as with Russian Gypsies playing for White
Russian exiles) or lived with nomadic groups that did such work as
blacksmithing, cleaning pans, making troughs, etc. The former seems
more likely to me.

Incidentally, before 1917, Romanian Gypsy ensembles were very popular
with the Russian aristocracy. Russian Gypsy singers and choruses were
also very popular, but they weren't instrumentalists (apart from using
the guitar and tambourine). This fashion seems to have begun in the
1880s, and continued in exile at places like the Scheherezade
Restaurant in Paris and the Maisonette Russe in New York into the
1940s. I've wondered whether these ensembles might have been
responsible for the introduction of such eastern Wallachian tunes as
"Doina Oltului" and "Ce mai foc si ce mai jale" into the Jewish
repertoire, but who knows. Gregor Serban, of Holland, has a webpage
with some old pictures of his father's group---they were Romanian
Gypsies who went to Russia and then western Europe.

Paul Gifford