Re: A QUERY

In a message dated 6/17/0 5:28:01 PM, meydele (at) ix(dot)netcom(dot)com writes:

<< By coincidence, I came across this reference yesterday.  I myself have not
looked at book.
A History of the Gypsies of Eastern Europe and Russia by David M.
Crowe.  St. Martin's Press, New York, 1994.

On Jews and Gypsies

There is a wonderful recording, "Carpati - 50 Miles, 50 Years" by Yale Strom
and Zmiros. This is the soundtrack of the document chich doecumentaed the
relationship of the Jews and Gypsies in the Carpathian region before WWII.
The selections include Klezmer and Gypsie pieces, and between the tunes,
there are short quotes about the close relationship between the Jews and
Gypsies in either Yiddish , Hungarian, or Rom. Translations of the comments
are inluded in the booklet.

Two quotes from the CD:

"Jews and Gypsies were always together. Wherever I wnet through the soviet
union playin in Gypsy bands there was at least on Jewish musician."

"We played at Jewish weddings and our family could live one week from such a
wedding. Now this is no use for our Gypsy music since the Jews left. The
Ukrainians absolutely don't appreciate our music." (In 1936, there were a
quarter of a million Jews in the Carpathian region, now there are less than
1,500).

See this Cd onb our site at:
www.hatikvahmusic.com/cgibin/browse.pl?action=search&search_for=Carpati

Theodore Bikel lived and traveled with Gypsies for an extented period of time.

Simon
Hatikvah Music