Re: Influence of Jewish on Christian chant

Eliot:
Thanks for this reply. It's wonderful research and I'll have to read the
Werner article. Judy.
At 08:19 PM 3/27/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Judah:
>
>Thank you for your thoughtful, intelligent response. I wanted to check a
>few of these sources before responding. Comments below.
>

>At 11:30 PM 3/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>Eliot,
>>
>>First things first:  I want to clarify that I make no overtures to say that
>>Christian monophonic chant is NOT derived from Jewish chant.  Rather, I
>>assert that there is not enough evidence to prove anything definitive in
>>either direction.
>
>There will never be evidence, because the sources are oral and not written
>in readable notation. But there are certainly many related truths that
>would strongly suggest an influence.
>

>>I've been through much of Lachmann and Avenary's work.  Here's what I've
>>seen:
>>
>>Lachmann did not produce much: he died at a very young age (41), and his
>>only major monograph is his 1934(?) Jewish Cantillation and Song of the Isle
>>of Djerba.  He's also responsible for helping establish the fabulous archive
>>of Jewish music at the Hebrew University.  While his forte was what he
>>called "Oriental" music, he did little to feed into the "Jewish from
>>Christian Chant" issue.
>>
>>Hanoch Avenary is to me one of the most careful and thoughtful Jewish
>>musicologists of his age--I think his Encyclopedia Judaica article is
>>generally about as good a summary of the subject as was known then.  While
>>he focused primarily on source studies and observations of diverse Jewish
>>groups in Israel, he did occasionally take a stab at some issues of earlier
>>derivation (such as the use music in biblical times, etc.).  I recall from
>>reading many of his essays (especially his 1979 "Encounters of East and West
>>in Music") that he is careful about making Werner's assumptions, being very
>>clear to cite the limits of the materials available to him.
>
>He cites the limits, but also infers some relationship. On p.78 of
>"Encounters of East and West in Music" (1979), he refers to a Credo,
>"generally assigned to the older layer of Gregorian chant ... [which]
>resembles a  psalmodic tune enriched by three prolific motives. 'Developed
>Psalmodies' of this kind are frequent in the Eastern styles, Syrian, as
>well as the Jewish."  Edith Gerson-Kiwi in "Migrations and Mutations of the
>Music in East and West" (1980) gives a musical example on p.55 with
>enormous similarities between a Gregorian "Dixit Dominus" (Ps.109) and a
>Yemenite version of  Psalm 122. As Idelsohn had, Gerson-Kiwi finds
>similarities in the modal and narrow melodic contours of Eastern Jewish
>melodies and Gregorian chant. The Yemenite tradition was supposed to
>be  particular free of foreign influences, because the Jewish people
>remained in Southern Arabia for 2,000 years before emigrating to Israel.
>

>>Having a good amount of Gregorian chant study under my belt as well, and
>>having explored the very issue of its relation to Jewish chant for quite a
> [...]

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian,
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
P.O Box 9110  MS045
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02454-9110