Balkan Music Concert

On this Saturday night, April 1 at 8:30, we are hosting a wonderful
group, Zabe i Babe, at the Hillel Center at Tufts. This is one of the
most exciting groups I have heard in several years. Described as Bosnian
Turbo-folk: Balkan vocals in overdrive, Zabe i Babe (literally, "frogs
and grandmothers") is the equivalent of the phrase "apples and oranges"
in Serbo-Croatian. This group draws their music from a wide range of
Bosnian traditional and popular sources. They write "Since the outbreak
of war, Bosnia has been represented in the media as a place ruled by
ghosts from the past, uncivilized and isolated. It is our goal to share
the vitality and cultural bounty of this little understood region and
portray the openness and creative exchange that stems from centuries of
deep intersections, crossovers and layering of lifestyles and
worldviews." Besides sharing this unusual message of cultural exchange
in the former Yugoslavia, their music rocks, is accessible and a lot of
fun. Free for Tufts students. If you are not a Tufts student, tickets
are $6. The Hillel Center is located right off the main quad on the
Tufts campus, close to Packard Ave. Call Tufts Hillel to reserve tickets
at 617-627-3242.