Re: Need Yiddish Vocabulary for Music

According to Anthony Baines in _Musical Instruments Through the Ages_, the
recorder belongs to the family of flageolets, which are fipple-flutes.  He
cites as the first use of the name 'recorder':

"...in the household accounts for 1388 of the Earl of Derby, later Henry IV, *i
fistula nomine Ricordo*: 'a flute called a keepsake,' evidently from some
Italian nobleman."

Random HouseWebster's College Dictionary gives as the etymology of "flageolet:"

"[1650-60 < F. sp. var. of OF *flajolet* = *flajol* flute (< VL *flabeolum,*
der. of L *flare* to blow) + *-et* et]"

I'd like to point out, however, the similarity of the name to the Greek
*floyera* (in Romanian, *fluier*), which is the shepherd's flute.

Perhaps the term *pastukh-fleyt* is the name to choose, but this takes no
notice of the refinement and nobility brought to the recorder by Renaissance
instrument makers.

This is the best my little bookshelves have to offer. What the heck, I'll let
the folks with the letters after their names take it from here.

--
Owen Davidson
Amherst  Mass

The Angel that presided o'er my birth
Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
Go Love without the help of any King on Earth

Wm. Blake