Re: Need Yiddish Vocabulary for Music

> I'd like to point out, however, the similarity of the name to the Greek
> *floyera* (in Romanian, *fluier*), which is the shepherd's flute.

Just a guess in this particular case, but perhaps the similarity between the
Latin
and Greek is because Latin took many words from Greek along with many cultural
ideas such as architecture, medicine, philosophy, et cetera.  The relationship
of
the Romanian word comes, perhaps, from its Latin origins.  It is a Romance
Language
(that is, evolved from Latin) as are, in order from least to most evolved away
from
Latin:  Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and all the dialects thereof.
Language is really a geographical continuum, as is cooking.  If you look at
individual communities in the "Old World" from East to West, you will see a
gradual
change in language and cuisine, or would have in earlier times, when discreet
languages were not imposed within these modern govermental borders.

I know I was a bit off track here, but I hope I told someone something they
didn't
know.

Lorele