RE: Need Yiddish Vocabulary for Music

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 Khupenikes (at) aol(dot)com wrote:

> I was told by a friend that the German (fingering) system actually doesn't
> make much sense and was primarily developed to have an own, German model...
> is that right?

Actually, I believe that the "German" fingering system was designed for
teaching children to play recorder as a pre-band instrument, so that the
fingerings would carry over to band instruments. It's a terrible idea:
German-fingering recorders have notes that simply aren't in tune. It
doesn't do much to help children learn band instruments, and it just makes
the recorder look bad.

Hope Ehn               <ehn (at) world(dot)std(dot)com>