Re: Meaning of "Klezmer"

As for the mixed blessing of variable venues, the story goes that in the
1950's a patron offered Duke Ellington the opportunity to stop playing clubs
and dances and only work in prestigious concert venues.  He answered the
offer with an aside:  "This cat's trying to cut me off from my sources."

As for "preservationist" klezmer, I would own up to doing that with my
"Philadelphia Klezmer Heritage Ensemble" (playing next at the Washington
Yiddish Culture Festival, April 2).  -Hankus