Re: "elevating" ("improving") folk music

Eliot:
And I wanted to congratulate you (and Julie) on that excellent publication
from JTS: the "Inventory of the Solomon Rosowsky Collection" published in
1996, but also your newly released "Inventory of the Max Wohlberg
Collection." I just started to take a look at those yesterday and they're
wonderfully helpful reference additions to help people locate archival
sources.

I agree with you that more attention to Joseph Achron's music! If I recall
(this stretched the memory some and I had to look it up), several
compositions were attributed to him in the 1932 Union Hymnal. Actually,
this, the UH, was my first exposure to Joseph Achron, believe it or not.
(Amazing to think about now.)

Judy

At 06:03 PM 1/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Robert:
>
>RE: The Society for Jewish Folk Music. There were quite a few branches but
>the two most important ones were at Moscow, founded by Joel (Julius) Engel,
>and the one at St. Petersburg, founded a little later, in 1908, by a few
>composition students at the Conservatory there (L. Saminsky, S. Rosowsky,
>E. Skliar).
>
>An interesting anecdote: When author Sholom Aleichem was first informed of
>the St. Petersburg Society's goals of collecting tunes in the Pale of
>Settlement and using them as the basis for art songs and chamber works, he
>warned the members to make sure (I paraphrase) "that the tunes don't freeze
>on the way to St. Petersburg." According to accounts by S. Rosowsky and L.
>Saminsky, however, he soon became an ardent supporter of the Society's
>goals. During its brief ten-year existence (1908-1918), The Society gave
>over 1200 concerts to adoring masses of Zionists throughout the Pale of
>Settlement. They were proud, indeed, that what were once considered
>"kitchen songs" were now works of art in very sophisticated, yet
>accessible, chamber music and art song settings.
>
>The folks here who frequently refer to the Beregovski Collection should
>realize that the core of the collection that Beregovski cataloged,
>transcribed, and annotated in the 1920s-1930s were the cylinder recordings
>made during the Baron Horace von Ginsbourg Expedition of ca. 1913-1914. The
>two ethnomusicologists who made these field recordings were Joel Engel
>(somewhere in the Pale, I forget), and Lazare Saminsky in the Caucausus
>region. As you can see, both these men were instrumental in founding the
>Societies for Jewish Folk Music. I believe that Engel is referred to in
>Israel as "the father of Jewish music."
>The lost cylinders were recently recovered and are now at the Vrenadsky
>Library in Kiev. The recently published CD was just a sampler compiled by
>the Library from the many cylinders in their possession.
>
>I hope folks won't sell this art music short before they've heard it. At
>the present time I am not aware of any performances that do this music
>justice. Joseph Achron (another member of the St. Petersburg Society) was a
>virtuoso violinist who studied with Leopold Auer -teacher of Heifetz,
>Gingold, Elmann, Milstein, etc. You've no doubt heard Heifetz' (and
>Perlmann's) performance of Achron's "Hebrew Melody." But I would love to
>hear a passionate, accurate performance of his "Stempenyu Suite," among
>other works. I would wager that you'd hear the same type of fire and
>authenticity that you hear in Bartok, if the right players were to perform
>this music.
>
>Arnold Schoenberg actually had very high praise for Achron's music; they
>knew each other in Los Angeles. Other St. Petersburg Folk Music Society
>composers of note were Moses Milner and Alexander Krein. The Society for
> [...]

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian,
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
P.O Box 9110  MS045
415 South Street
Waltham, MA 02454-9110