Re: "elevating" ("improving") folk music

That's exactly what the Society for Jewish Folk Music in turn-of-the-century
Russia (I think I have name and time right--not near my books) sought to do:
  "elevate" (by its lights) folk music into "art music."  FWIW, I share
Joshua's distaste for that ethos and aesthetic--passionately.  But I think
some such transformations or incorporations of folk music "work," probably
because the composer respected and did not demean the original:  Vaughan
Williams' ENGLISH FOLK SONG SUITE, for example, and some of Bartok.  Maybe
APPALCHIAN SPRING, too, and I'm sure there are other successful examples. --
Robert Cohen