Re: Bertha Kalich & Recordings of the Yiddish Theater

On the Rigler Deutsch front, although Yale and Stanford contributed, they
surely didn't have much in the way of Jewish music. (No Sephardic stuff, of
that I'm sure.)

Going back to the online code that Josh was referring to, I'm pretty sure
that RDIXNS means Rigler Deutsch Index for the Belfer Audio Archive at
Syracuse, and RDIXNN means the NYPL. The NYPL has a terrific collection
(principally due to the collecting activities of a Mr. Stambler) while the
other two have some materials.

Best,

Joel

At 07:16 PM 1/5/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I think the main difference between pre-and post-1925 recordings are
>that
>the former are mechanical and the latter were recorded with microphones.
>But I don't believe that that made any different in how the actual
>performances were fixed, in other words, they still cut a master in real
>time, so each take would still have a different matrix number. (Even
>though
>not all the takes would find their way into the actual recordings.) Or
>at
>the least a different take number. The use of magnetic tape in the
>industry
>of course came much later. Or am I missing something here???
>
>No discrepency there at all, Joel. I was showing that if the piece was
>recorded again later with mikes, it would get a new matrix number. In
>the above case, the matrix number was the same 8 years later, with the
>comment *acous.* indicating that it was the 1925 recording, though the
>release date was 1933.
>
>I'll add to Joel's really thorough compilation with
>some addresses of a few archives which subscribe to the Rigler-Deutsch
>Index (RDI) to help you further to find the recordings, Robert. Note
>that the RDI has a code which tells you which archive has the disc which
>is catalogued. The code, found below in the catalogues which Joel
>enclosed, begins with RDIX. Here is one example from Joel's sources:
>
>Record ID: RDIXDC8900060027-R
>
>The DC in that code means that the record is stored at the DC address,
>meaning the
>
>Recorded Sound Reference Center
>Motion Picture, Broadcasting and
>Recorded Sound Division
>Library of Congress
>Washingto D.C. 20540
>(202) 707-7833
>
>You may be able to figure it out by the spellings of the addresses
>below, or maybe Joel has the code listings. Here are some addresses.  Be
>well, Josh
>
>Stanford Archive of Recorded Sound
>Braun Music Center Stanford University
>Stanford, Ca. 94305
>(415) 723-9312
>
>Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
>222 Waverly Ave.
>Syracuse University
>Syracuse, New York 13210
>(315) 443-3477
>
>Recorded Sound Reference Center
>Motion Picture, Broadcasting and
>Recorded Sound Division
>Library of Congress
>Washingto D.C. 20540
>(202) 707-7833
>
>Rodgers and Hammerstein Archives
>of Recorded Sound
>New York Public Library
>Performing Arts Research Center
>111 Amsterdam Ave.
>New York, New York 10030
>(212) 870-1661
>
>Yale Collection of Historical Sound Recordings
>Box 1603A Yale Station
>Yale University
>New Haven, Connecticit 06520
> [...]

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:           781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com