Re: Bertha Kalich & Recordings of the Yiddish Theater

Robert,

the Spottswood catalogue contains the largest list of ethnic 78's made
in this country since 1893 (- 1942). So, it's the main reference for
78's (8 volumes long). I simply copied the info down for you with no
thought about *discographic literacy* as I'm a discographic illiterate
myself. For quoting Spottswood, here is the info:

Spottswood, Richard K.: Ethnic Music on Records: A Discography of Ethnic
Recordings Produced in the United States, 1893 to 1942, Volume 3,
Eastern Europe, University of Illinois Press, Urbana and Chicago, 1990.

The basic info, from left to right, using one title as the following
title below....

B 31261-3 Shulamith: Shabes Jontef In Rischoidesch (A. Goldfaden) Vi rej
orch d Joseph Pasternack Camden, NJ December 5, 1924

indicates:

The matrix number of the disc (B 31261-3) The B meant 7 inch in Victor's
system.

title of the disc: Shulamith: Shabes Jontef In Rischoidesch
Composer (A. Goldfaden)
label: Vi (Victor)
catalogue number: this should come next, but in the case of rej. I think
that means it wasn't catalogued or wasn't released. Henry Sapoznik might
know, as he helped in the Spottswood publication.

Orch: The name of the orchestra. In this case of J. Pasternack
recording place and date: Camden, NJ

> 4. Does Spottswood list only original issues?.

Yes. For reissues, I think the main source is called the Schwann
catalogue.

I can't answer all your questions, cuz I just don't know all that stuff
(you can contact my friend Hugo Stroetbaum in Utrecht, Holland, who is
one of the great discographers on the planet, and always needs help
himself, so I think it would be a good idea for you both to have contact
wih each other). A coupla things, though:

> I've come across the following listing for Kalich:
> Blue (acous.) Vr 4548t
> Shulamith: Sabbath, Holiday and the New Moon (Goldfaden) [Yiddish]/

It sounds to me like you have an actual (possibly later) Victor
catalogue release number (4548t) of possibly the same recording, but
possibly a later one. As you know the recordings prior to 1925 were
mechanical, direct to disc. Therefore each take got a different matrix
number. I don't know if that means that the disc you have is a later
RECORDING as the ones in the Spottswood listing are *rejects*. Check the
matrix number on your disc and see if it matches the one above.

> 5. Was it common for Yiddish artists to record in both Yiddish and
> Russian for the same release?

I have a few Russian recordings from the 30's which have Russian and
Yiddish in the same SONG, alternating strophes. Non-Jews liked Jewish
tunes too. That's all I know. Hope it helps... Josh

> >16.127. Bertha Kalich soprano (1872-1939)
> >
> >Shulamis; Bar Kochba Vi trial
> >Matushka Halubushka Vi trial
> >Nathaniel Shilkret-p NY September 25, 1924
> >

> >B 31261-6 Shulamith: Shabes Jontef In Rishoidesch (A. Goldfaden) Vi
> rej
> >B 31262-5 Sappho: Mamuka Turubymka (J. Gordin) [in Russian] Vi rej
> >orch d Nathaniel Shilkret NY December 24, 1924
> >
> >B 31261-7 Shulamith: Shabes Jontef In Rischoidesch (A. Goldfaden) Vi
> >45485
> >B 31262-7 Sappho: Mamuka Turubymka (J. Gordin) [in Russian] Vi rej
> >as before NY January 27, 1925
> >

> >robert wiener wrote:
> >
> >> Bertha Kalich recorded a piece from Shulamith by Goldfaden,
> "Sabbath,
> >> Holiday and the New Moon".  The question is if she made any other
> >> Yiddish recordings.  (She also recorded a piece from Gordon's
> Sappho
> >> in Russian.)

> jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org ---------------------+

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->