Re: Klezmatics sound clips

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen <steves (at) shani(dot)net>
To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 2:16 AM
Subject: Re: Klezmatics sound clips

> I've been waiting with bated breath, having been a lister here for
> overa year, to hear what all this Klezmer and Jewish music is about. -
> These sound clips are fantastic from the aspect of how to distribute a
> live show - but it seems to all be Xmas orientated music.
>
> What the heck is going on?

The Klezmatics were just having fun, and so were most listeners.  In the US,
we live in a mostly Christian environment, and by the second half of
December it is hard to turn on the radio without hearing the same Christmas
music - over and over and over.  It is refreshing to hear this twist on the
theme, and it doesn't seem to have offended anyone.

It is related to the reason the Chanukah has become a major Jewish holiday
in the US.

As for hearing what Klezmer in the US is about, there are many CDs
available.  If you've been reading these messages for a year, you should
have an idea of which ones are most popular.