Re: bitzu mit mir broygez-translation

>Dem Gonifs Yikhes is related to the song, Yikhes, which was performed (and
>written?) by Aaron Lebedef.  The melody is similar, though it doesn't have
>all the same parts.  Again, unfortunately, I don't have the words to the
>Lebedef song.  I would guess, by the derisive tone of "dem gonifs yikhes"
>that it is a parody of "Yikhes," but I don't really know which came first.

There is also a version of the song (I =knew= I had heard it recently)
being performed by Brave Old World in their "Songs of the Lodz Ghetto"
suite. An amazing piece of music, but not yet recorded.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/