Re: need help with recording credits and more

Dear Shira:

Thanks for the fine points of US copyright law.

I misunderstood Steve's words, thinking:
he  has a certain recorded arrangement of the song
upon which he wishes to base his own  future version.
Unless he duplicates it note for exact note (and what would be the point of
that ?),
his recording will become HIS arrangement -- and he need only credit the
writers.

One seldom sees the same credited arrangement of a song on two different
records -- except perhaps
for Broadway musicals.  For one, the arranger would most likely be legally
bound not to allow his
arrangement to be employed  by another artist (at least for a certain length of
time) so as to not
siphon away potential market share of the product in question.  Second, there
is the additional
expense incurred by having to compensate the arranger as well as the
writer/publishers for
exploiting the material.

Why look for trouble?  Make up your own version.

Keep on the sunny side,

Wolf