Re: need help with recording credits and more (fwd)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Kame'a Media wrote:

> You can't attempt to copyright an arrangement in the hopes of claiming writer
> credits.
> An arrangement itself cannot be copyright unless the song in question is
> already in the Public Domain.  Then you can attach your name to it.

Huh?!  What are you talking about, Wolf?  I'd like to *record* an arr. of
this - I simply want to make sure that I've got the right song credits and
royalty stuff.

> The original composers of "Tzena, Tzena, Tzena" as stated on the 78 rpm Decca
> record by the Weavers (c.1950)
> are: Ross and (Gordon) Jenkins.

Can you tell me about the Weavers?  Is this the same guitar and voice (3
pt.) arr. that I've got on that "Best of Israel CD"?  They were an
American group?

> "Tzena, Tzena, Tzena" was the the actual A Side of the record containing the
> world shlager, "Goodnight, Irene", released  just after  the death of it's
> creator,
> American music legend, Lead Belly.

If I know "Goodnight, Irene" - it's kind of an Irish-close harmony thing,
right?  How did it end up on the B-side of a chalutzi song?

> Gordon Jenkins was associated with other "Jewish" recordings
> as a producer, arranger and orchestra leader.  I would hazard
> to say the copyright is still active.
>
> Bob Wiener must have every version of this song in his collection.

Thanks, Wolf.  This stuff is fascinating!

-S