Re: need help with recording credits and more

On 09/17/99 15:03:24 Wolf wrote:

>You can't attempt to copyright an arrangement in the hopes of claiming writer
>credits.
>An arrangement itself cannot be copyright unless the song in question is
>already in the Public Domain.  Then you can attach your name to it.

As a former copyright lawyer, I have to clarify, as Wolf doesn't have it quite
right (sorry,
Wolf!).  Any NEW material is automatically protected by copyright upon creation
- whether the
arranger has the legal authority to create a new version of someone else's work
is another issue
entirely.  The Copyright Office will not accept registration of an arrangement
without evidence
that it is authorized by the owner of the copyright in the underlying work
(i.e., the original
composer has given permission for the arrangement, which in legal parlance is a
"derivative
work") - but that doesn't mean it's not copyrighted.  The arrangement -
authorized or not, legal
or illegal - is the property of the arranger, and can't be reproduced or taken
for use by
someone else without permission.  No matter what, the arranger is NEVER the
author of the
underlying song he or she did not write originally.  Proper credits are "music
by So-and-So,
arranged by Me".

I don't want to turn this into a legal discussion list - I don't practice
copyright law (or any
law, for that matter) anymore.  But I don't want list members to have
misinformation.

Shira Lerner