Re: klezmer dancing

Lori Lippitz wrote:
>Peggy, I know what you mean!  The high point of many performances has been
>when Russians of any and all ages spontaneously break out in that traditional
>form of dance that recalls an entire lost civilization.  How sweet and
>poignant it is, especially when this ancient soul is expressed through a
>young person.

Lori,
I see the traditional dance posture, steps and gestures demonstrated by
dancers not directly from the former USSR as well. Once a friend brought
her mother, a survivor, and her mother-in-law,who  spent much of her life
in small-town Minnesota, to a dance-concert, and it was the latter who "had
it," not the former.

Peggy

Peggy H. Davis Calligraphy & Wholesale Klezmer Band
Adamsville Rd.
Colrain MA 01340
413-624-3204 (phone/fax)
http://www.crocker.com/~ganeydn