Re: klezmer dancing

<< A delightful 3-year-old girl, whose parents are from Russia, showed
interest in some musical instruments, and we started singing Tumbalalaika.
Seeing her response, we urged my father to go to the piano and play some
Yiddish and Russian songs. One thing led to another, and we started dancing
in a circle and soon everyone was drawn in. That little girl went right into
the middle of the circle to "shine" and used such a traditional vocabulary of
Yiddish dance gestures! I was awed.>>

Peggy, I know what you mean!  The high point of many performances has been
when Russians of any and all ages spontaneously break out in that traditional
form of dance that recalls an entire lost civilization.  How sweet and
poignant it is, especially when this ancient soul is expressed through a
young person.

I have a baby of eight months whose part-time nanny is a Russian--our
violinist's mother.  I am hoping that lots of this endearing Yiddishkeit will
rub off on our little Yankee.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Lori Lippitz (Maxwell Street)