Re: klezmer dancing

Joshua Horowitz <horowitz (at) styria(dot)com> said:

> The Serbs you mention were probably dancing an Oro din Krajina. But what
> were they doing in a Croatian bar in the first place? Josh

I was going to say the same thing. I know a young Romanian Gypsy in
Chicago who is playing at a Bosnian club with young Bosnian
musicians----he got the job through some Serb Gypsy musicians, who
couldn't play there. As for the tip, I hear that the Serbs are the
best tippers, at least better than Romanians, Hungarians, Greeks.
Hundred-dollar bills are common at weddings.

On the subject of Eastern European tangoes, similar Jewish
involvement in Romanian popular music of the '20s, '30s, and later
seems strong----for example, I have a 78 on the Lifa (or maybe it's
Cristal) label of Bucharest of a tango sung by Dorel Livianu, and a
'70s Electrecord LP of tangos sung by Gica Petrescu, both Jewish
singers (the latter the "Frank Sinatra of Romania").

Paul Gifford