RE: Julio Inglesias Jewish?

Alex,

I don't follow news about Mariah Carey but my teenage kids who like her
inform me of all kinds of things.
I understand that Carey/Carrey also has a step-father and people may mix up
info about her two fathers.

As for the name sounding Irish, all I can tell you is that there is a very
wealthy Syrian Jewish family in Brooklyn whose name is spelled Cayre and is
pronounced Carey, like the Irish name.  One of the Cayre children is my
daughter's classmates at the Yeshivah of Flatbush and I doubt that there is
any connection with Ireland here.

Jonathon,

> As to Julio Iglesias, sans other evidence, a high Christian name DOES NOT
> indicate Jewishness.  Many Christian Spaniards were/are devoted enough to
> their religion to choose high Christian names as well, as any glance at
> historical Spanish names will tell you.

I didn't say that it's proof, but rather a great likelihood.  The chances
are overwhelmingly so.   I will also suggest to you that merely looking at
historical Spanish names will tell you very little, because we know that
Jews took on these names with a passion.   The first large-scale attack on
Spanish Jews happened in 1390, way before 1492.

>Besides, just because some
> ancestor 400 years ago was forced to or chose to take on the name of
> Iglesias (=church) DOES NOT mean that the descendent 400 years later is
> Jewish.  (If it does, we need a racial definition of Jews, which was how
> the whole mess started to begin with...)

I guess all you know about Spanish Jewish history is that there was an
inquisition.   The fact is that much happened before and after the big
Inquisition _500_ years ago.  On the local level, Jews and crypto-Jews
continued to be hounded, pursued, robbed, and punished for in the 16th,
17th, 18th and 19th centuries.  It is also a known fact in Spain that
almost EVERYONE in Spain has some Jewish blood in them.  When someone says
that a Spaniard is a Jew, they are not talking about someone whose
ancestors converted 400 or 500 years ago. There are still anecdotes of very
religious Spanish Catholics who to this day secretly light candles on
Friday nights in closed cupboards and have no idea why they do that, but
more significantly, communities of secret Jews continued to exist well into
the 20th century in several locations in the Iberian peninsula especially
in remote mountain towns or islands, for example, the mountain town
Belmonte, Portugal to this very day.   They finally decided that it was
safe to come out as Jews they got a rabbi about 10 years ago.

I don't think that a racial definition of Jews is relevant or necessary
here.

Reyzl

----------
Responding to the message of <199907071553(dot)IAA02363 (at)
uclink4(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

There was an article in Ebony magazine in 1991, when Mariah was breaking
in,
that said her father was Venezuelan and black.  I can't vouch for its
veracity
or challenge other readings, but it's interesting that two such different
bios
have been published.  From whence comes her Irish surname?

> Yes, Mariah Carrey's parents are Syrian Jews, from what I've heard and
read.

> As to Julio Iglesias, sans other evidence, a high Christian name DOES NOT
> indicate Jewishness.  Many Christian Spaniards were/are devoted enough to
> their religion to choose high Christian names as well, as any glance at
> historical Spanish names will tell you.  Besides, just because some
> ancestor 400 years ago was forced to or chose to take on the name of
> Iglesias (=church) DOES NOT mean that the descendent 400 years later is
> Jewish.  (If it does, we need a racial definition of Jews, which was how
> the whole mess started to begin with...)
>
> Jonathan
>

> .

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
2106 4th St. S
Minneapolis, MN 55455