From:  Paul M. Gifford[SMTP:PGIFFORD (at) flint(dot)umich(dot)edu]
Sent:  Wednesday, July 07, 1999 1:32 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant
Subject:  RE: Julio Inglesias Jewish?

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net> wrote:

> Assuming that he is really Jewish (as opposed to having a little Jewish
> blood in him), what is interesting to me in all of this is that here we
> have another Jew who aims for the best of the popular music of his
country,
> a la Striesand in America, Yves Montand in France, Emil Gorovitz in
Russia
> before emigrating to Israel (then America), I forget the name of the
singer
> in Egypt, and a whole slew of other Jews too numerous to mention who
worked
> very hard to become the chief exponents of their country's music.  This
> goes for performers, composers, record producers, etc.

To add to this list, there is Gica Petrescu, now about 80, who is
Romania's best-known popular singer (folk music, tangos, a little bit
of everything).  Dorel Livianu, another similar singer, recorded a lot
there in the '30s and emigrated to Israel in the early '50s. A friend
of mine who played a lot with Petrescu in the '70s told me this,
although he probably changed his name to hide his origins. Maybe
it wouldn't have been possible in Romania to have such a career with
a Jewish name.

Paul Gifford