RE: Julio Inglesias Jewish? -Reply

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Peter Rushefsky wrote:

> My understanding is that Elvis's maternal grandmother was Jewish.

*If* that should be true, wouldn't that make Elvis Jewish? According to
the halachic principle of Judaisim by maternal descent, wouldn't having a
Jewish mother would make Elvis's mother Jewish? And if Elvis's mother was
Jewish, wouldn't Elvis be Jewish also? (And wouldn't that make him
ineligible to act as "Shabbos goy," which he certainly did?)

I'm no expert on these things, so please don't beat me up if I've erred
here. I've only posted this question out of curiosity, and have no vested
interest in the answer.

Hope Ehn                   <ehn (at) world(dot)std(dot)com>