Re:Judeo Arabic/North African music

Hi, first, thanks for the kind words, Ari!! Glad you liked our concert!!
They're actually both separate and not separate. Judeo-Arabic songs are,
first of all, in Judeo-Arabic (not Judeo-Spanish/haketia - often
ERRONEOUSLY called Moroccan Ladino). They share some melodies, and
especially for wedding and liturgical/semi-liturgical songs, some
rhythms as well; and sometimes you hear Judeo-Spanish translations of
Judeo-Arabic songs; but mostly it's quite a different repertoire,
corresponding roughly to the difference between the former Spanish
Protectorate (the North - Tangier, Tetuan, and the area) and the former
French zone ( the rest). There is a good CD of piyyutim by Albert
Bouadahana (I think, have to check) and a few others (Emil Zrihan on
Piranha) - but these are mostly in Hebrew; there's less Judeo-Arabic on
recordings. And, to my knowledge, none of WOMEN's repertoire in J-Ar
except a couple of cuts on the old Westminster "In Israel Today" series,
now reissued on CD ;(but Joel has more discographic info at his
fingertips than I do in this and I'm sure he'll be sending it in, maybe
typing at this very minute); also the fabulous old recordings made by
Paul Bowles will eventually be issued (a colleague and I are doing the
jacket notes, but it won't be tomorrow or anything!) Take care, thanks
again, Judith

>From: Ari Davidow <ari (at) ivritype(dot)com>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: Re:Judeo Arabic/North African music
>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:26:27 -0400
>
>>Are there any people on this list interested in Judeo Arabic/north
African