Re: Anyone going to the Jewish Culture Festival in Cracow?

Helena,
I went last year to Cracow. It is an excellent festival artistically and
organisationally and I would thoroughly recommend it.
Organisers very friendly and helpful. Interesting program spread between
music concerts at night, films, dance, lectures, walks etc.
I found accomodation tricky at first because of the time of the year - also
like other parts of e.europe telephones, communications etc can be difficult.
After a few expensive nights in hotels, I ended up staying in a shared dorm
(PTTK )nearby - from memory it had family rooms also. I remember one of the
hotels had a good family room deal, because I was hoping to come back with
my wife and 2 kids later on. (we didnt because of visa costs etc).
I also remember some other klezmer musicians who stayed in good cheap
private rooms via a little old lady who greeted them at the station.
Will try and find the hotels, dorm and room contacts if you like?
Suggest you try to arrive a few days earlier to "settle in". Cracow is a
beautiful town anyway and Kazimierz was active ie jewish music in the
restaurants etc.
Transport by buses fairly easy or medium walks.
In festival some organisers spoke english but generally outside tourist
areas (central cracow) ie cafes, shops for food etc only polish was spoken,
but ok with sign language and a few polish words.
In summary - hotels did fill up, only one of the six concerts was sold out
and kids probably ok depending on their likes. (the jewish papercutting
workshops had a lot of kids, also the dances)
cheerio Ernie
ps carry an umbrella !

KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
Management for Jugularity, Klezmeritis & Kalinka
Agency for acoustic musicians  (jazz, classical, celtic, gypsy etc)
Phone/Fax +613 9386 7108          2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058,
Australia
               JUGULARITY   http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~sci148k/
_________
MAR 27: YALLA :  CERES 8 Lee St, Brunswick 7pm          Middle-Eastern
music and dance
MAR 28: JUGULARITY : Brunswick Festival - KIDS show  3pm          Brunswick
Town Hall
APRIL FESTIVALS National (ACT)(Klez w'shops), Fairbridge (WA) - JUGS and Klez