Re: The Music of the Mountain Jews

>We have just received a shipment of some of the most unusual and fascinating
>Jewish Music I have ever heard.
>Since this is all new to me , I will quote from the accompanying booklet.
>
>"The Music of the Mountain Jews"

A a Russian cultural festival in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, that was
partially organized by Michael Alpert last summer, they included a
band that played music of this region. It was not only lively and
wonderful Persian-ish (to pin down one influence with which I was
somewhat familiar), but the dance floor was packed! It also reminded
me of Buhkarian music, a bit. This sounds very exciting.

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
owner: jewish-music mailing list