flute

Please could I now ask for words of wisdom on the flute and early klezmer.
I see wooden flutes in photographs of kapelye and read about them, but
there seems to be a lack of early recordings or later revival.
Can anyone please list recordings that have flute, especially in small
ensembles as opposed to chirpy piccolos in big bands? Also are there any
recent recording of flute players who have integrated klezmer style.
Until recently I thought my favorite example of flute was on my favorite
recent klezmer
CD ie track 9 on Alicia Svigal's "Fidl" on the Crossroads Label. However on
checking my facts I notice that its a kaval being played beautifully by
Matt Darriau.
I guess kavals, recorders, whistles and even neys, etc would have found
themselves in klezmer kapelyes sometimes esp. regionally?
Finally, has anyone written any articles about klezmer flute ornamentation
and phrasing? Would the design of the instruments have been significally
different?
Thankyou for your comments. These queries have been prompted by celtic and
classical flute players who have been to my klezmer introduction workshops
or gigs.
KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
Management for Jugularity, Klezmeritis & Kalinka
Agency for acoustic musicians  (jazz, classical, celtic, gypsy etc)
Phone/Fax +613 9386 7108          2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058,
Australia
               JUGULARITY   http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~sci148k/
_________
JUGS :  Rye Foreshore Jan 26,     Thomastown Jan31,
             Feb13 Benefit Medecins Sans Fontiers at Corner Hotel Richmond
KLEZMERITIS : CERES "Music and Dance under the Stars", Brunswick Jan 22
KALINKA : Waterfront Festival, Geelong Jan 25