Re: Ben Goldberg

I think it depends on how versatile one is. Also, there is such a glut of sax
players available for gigs, that it is rather refreshing when a clarinet player
is
involved in a "modern" jazz context (anything other than the stereotypical
"trad"
or "dixieland" stuff.)
Ben Goldberg  is involved in so many types of musical pursuits that he is much
in
demand.  He used to play "traditional" Klezmer with Klezmorim, and more recently
he's released CDs of his own with a variety of combinations. Ben's a highly
creative, open-minded and gifted player, and a fabulous teacher. Two CDs that I
can highly recommend are "Light At The Crossroads", with Marty Erlich, and "The
Relative Value Of Things", with Kenny Wollesen!
-Lederman

Eliezer Kaplan wrote:

> Well, yeah. That's true of any musical pursuit. But my point was simply
> that it might be more difficult for a clarinet player to break into the
> jazz world these days, than, say, a sax player. Of course, being that I'm
> not a clarinet player, it's only conjecture on my part.
>                                 EK
>
> At 01:20 PM 1/3/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >Not to be the grammar-nerd, but the idea of a clarinetist embodying several
> >musical selves, and havig somehow to integrate them, is interesting to me in
> >view of popular musical culture.
> >
> >Owen

> >> Now there's some intersting stuff- especially the New Klezmer Trio, and the
> >> collaboration with Mrty Ehrlich. It seems that a good deal of Goldberg's
> >> roots are in the world of Klezmer music, but that he's really left that
> >> world behind now. One might almost say the same about Don Byron. I guess a
> >> clarinet player, not readily accepted in the jazz world these days, has to
> >> kind of work themselves in.
> >>                                         EK
> >
> >--
> >Owen Davidson
> >Amherst  Mass
> >The Wholesale Klezmer Band
> >
> >The Angel that presided o'er my birth
> >Said Little creature formd of Joy and Mirth
> >Go Love without the help of any King on Earth
> >
> >Wm. Blake

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->