Re: barry sisters

The Barry sisters were the hottest Jewish Singers in the 50's and into the
sixties.

Claire and Myrna Barry started on radio as children . They sang "Bei Mir Bistu
Sheyn" in Yiddish before the Andrew Sisters ever recorded it in English.

In The late fifties they recorded for Roulette records-ownd by Morris Levy who
was producing mostly Rosck & Roll and R& B recordings. The unique thing about
the Barry Sisters is that they sang Yiddish Songs in VERY contemporary swing
and big band arrangements. They also were considered 'sexy" for the era and
were very popular in the major clubs and national TV shows: Ed Sullivan, Merve
Griffin, Mike Douglas,etc.
In 1960 they toured Russia with the Ed Sullivan Show, and to this day they are
still hugely popular with Russian audience.

About 4 years ago, I produced a Cd compilation "The Barry Sisters-Their
Greatest Yiddish Hits". This recordings sold well beyon anyone's expectation
and in is a huge seller even now in Europe-expecially in Germany and Vienna.
They consider it Big Band Jazz/Swing that they can understand.

The succes of this recording has brought new fame to Claire Barry who still
works the Catskills and Florida on a regular basis.  Lat May Claire performed
in Los Angeles at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Myrna passed away in the
70's.
When they were onRoullete Records there were plans to record with another
Roulette recording artist, Count Basie, unfortunately, that never happened.
By the way many or their recordings featured Able Ellstein and  probably Dave
Tarras.
Claire and I have become very close friends and we speak every week she is a
real class act, and the stories she tells......

There is a 2 CD set of the Barry Sisters that we carry that contains
selections from most of their Jewish recordings-they also recorded in English
and Spanish.

Simon
Hatikvah

.