RE: Record Libraries

Dear Robert,

Most of the music collections mentioned below are extraordinary collections are
extraordinary resources for Jewish music.   I wish someone would write up a
fuller description than just a line or two.   I must also say that it's a bit
strange to see you give only one line to JTS's music collections.   Below are
excerpts from a file I just happened to have posted about JTS's musical
resources on YiddishNet, my Yiddish news and information mailing list.   You
also left out info about the Lincoln Center Branch of the New York Public
Library in NYC (much theater music).   The Donnell branch on E. 53 St., the
Midtown Manhattan branch, and the Central branch of the Brooklyn Public Library
have much smaller collections, but at least they circulate.

Also a note on the Bob & Molly Freedman Collection, now at the U. of
Pennsylvania.  It's distinctiveness lies is the fact that it is the largest
collection of Yiddish musical recordings anywhere, including YIVO.   It just
happens that it is _also_ "commercial", "popular American Jewish music" and
includes "cantorial" music.   (They now have a web page for that on U. of Penn
web site.)

There are of course also several other major collections in Israel.

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky

-------------------------FORWARD-------------------------------------

      The Sabin Family Music Library

      The Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America has
a steadily growing music collection which is housed in the Sabin
Family Music Library. It contains manuscripts and printed materials
as well as recordings of cantorial and general music of interest to
music students. The Sabin Library offers opportunities for serious
research as well as for music listening pleasure. The excellent audio
equipment, complete with earphones for private listening, is
augmented by a library atmosphere conducive to the appreciation of
the rare old material as well as the more current discs and tapes.
Hours are posted in the Sabin Library.
of the Library and the Cantors' Assembly, celebrated the 90th
anniversary of the founding of the Society for Jewish Folk Music in
St. Petersburg. The program, presented to a full house in Feinberg
Auditorium, featured music written by the founding members of the
Society, including Ephraim Skliar, Solomon Rosowsky and Lazare Saminsky.

           The Sabin Family Music Library houses a collection
comprised of books on music, musical scores and sheet music, musical
holographs, and more than 5,500 sound recordings. The goal of the
Music Library is to support the curriculum taught at the H.L. Miller
Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music and to make this
collection a center for the study of cantorial music.

           Through book endowments, the Library continues to purchase
new materials both in print and sound formats. With the popularity of
the compact disk, the Music Library has developed a fine collection
of Jewish music CD's. The primary focus is on liturgical music but the
collection also includes Jewish ethnic music, folk music, classical
music based on Jewish themes and Jewish popular music. With the
revitalization of eastern European Jewish communities, the Library has
been able to purchase recordings from communities in Budapest, Prague
and cities of the former Soviet Union.

           The Library has been fortunate to become the recipient of
numerous collections and archives belonging to composers of Jewish
music and cantors who both composed and collected Jewish liturgical
music. These collections are being cataloged by a music archivist,
Eliott Kahn. Catalogs are being prepared for each collection and, to
date, the Library has published An Inventory of the Collection of
Herbert Fromm and An Inventory of the Collection of Solomon Rosowsky.
The inventory of Max Wohlberg's collection will be published later
this year.

           Music materials appear in the Library's online catalog.
The Music Library, which is located on the second floor of the
Library, is open during regular Library hours.  Assistance and
listening facilities are available during Reference hours: Sunday
11 am - 7 pm; Monday - Thursday 9 am - 7 pm and Fridays from 9 am
until 1 hour before Library closing.

JTS Library

Music Collection

          The music collection contains books on Jewish music, a
collection of over four thousand sound recordings (records, tapes
and compact discs), an extensive collection of printed music,
particularly Hazzanut (cantorial music), general music reference
books, a large collection of Yiddish sheet music, a collection of
cantorial music manuscripts, and music sheets in liturgical, folk,
and art genres.

          A Yamaha "Clavinova", an electronic piano / harpsichord /
organ, is available for the convenience of users who wish to play
music from our collection which does not circulate.

Many of the recordings are housed in the Audio-Visual Center.

JTS Library
                  Collections: Audio-Visual Collection

          Additional information is available in the Resources section

          The Audio-Visual Center, on the second floor of the Library,
houses materials found in non-print format. They include microforms,
videos, sound recordings, and CD-ROM.

          The Louis Ginzberg Microfilm Collection includes microfilms
of outstanding Judaica manuscripts and rare books from other collections
worldwide. Among the microfilms are the complete Hebrew manuscript
collection of the British Museum, most of the Taylor-Schechter Geniza
in the Cambridge University Library, a large portion of the Hebrew
collections in the Bibliotheque Nationale and Alliance Israelite in
Paris, the Vatican Library in Rome, the Bodleian Library in Oxford,
the Kaufman Collection of the Hungarian Academy of Science in Budapest,
the Hebrew collections of the Library in Parma, Italy, the Austrian
National Library in Vienna and the Biblioteca Escorial in Madrid.
Microfilms of over 2,000 JTS manuscripts are located here.

          Among the other items in the microform collection are runs
of numerous periodicals, microfilms of the Birnbaum Music Collection
housed at Hebrew Union College and a complete set of photographs on
microfiche from Yad Vashem. There are microfilm and microfiche
readers and a reader/printer available for use.

          Videos in US (NTSC) and European (PAL and SECAM) formats
are available for viewing at three carrels set up in the Center.

          Sound recordings on long playing records, tapes and compact
disks may be played here on listening equipment with headphones. The
sound recording collection is primarily of Jewish Music but includes
some 2,000 LP records of classical music. In addition there are
instructional tapes, in Hebrew language, in Torah trope, etc. for
listening.

          A CD-ROM (compact disk-Read Only Memory) network has been
set up for searching databases. The AV Center (and Reference Desk)
offer a a number of CD-ROM research titles.

For more info or if you have questions, contact  library (at) jtsa(dot)edu(dot)